Aviva USA Completes Move to New U.S. Headquarters
August 27, 2010 by N/A
Project on time, on budget with all employees now in place
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa–(BUSINESS WIRE)– All 1,300 of Aviva USA’s Des Moines-based employees and contractors are now occupying the company’s new U.S. operations headquarters at 7700 Mills Civic Parkway in West Des Moines. Capping a summer of highly orchestrated moves, Aviva relocated its staff from three leased locations in downtown Des Moines to the new campus.
Aviva USA broke ground on its new headquarters in April 2008. With a project budget of approximately $150 million, the eight-story building sets on 88 acres of commercial property at the intersection of Jordan Creek Parkway and Mills Civic Parkway.
“Our new home is a world-class facility, allowing us to improve our collaboration which in turn provides us an exceptional experience to serve our customers,” said Chris Littlefield, Aviva USA’s president and chief executive officer. “The campus is highly energy efficient, and designed and constructed according to stringent environmental and sustainability principles.”
Aviva plc, the parent company of Aviva USA, was the first global insurance company to become carbon neutral. As a responsible corporate citizen, the company took this same progressive stance to protect the environment by reducing the facility’s carbon footprint. Aviva USA is striving to attain gold-level Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification for this project and should have final determination by mid-November.
Among the criteria to earn this distinction is demonstrated proof of sustainable site design, including a commitment to improved air quality, and water and energy-efficient practices both inside and outside of the building. Other criteria for LEED certification include:
- An established wetland habitat on the southwest corner of the campus;
- Rainwater recovery ponds to reduce erosion caused by runoff and to hold water for lawn irrigation;
- Low-maintenance landscaping with grasses and plants native to Iowa, and fewer areas requiring mowing;
- Priority parking for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles, as well as for those employees who carpool;
- Filtered drinking water systems, and efficient plumbing and fixtures that reduce water consumption by as much as 30 percent;
- On-site solar-powered trash compactor, which reduces the amount of trash pick-up by approximately 80 percent, as well as garbage truck fuel use;
- A composting system which reduces pulped organic wastes by 90 percent within 24 hours, producing a dry, odor-free, nutrient-rich soil amendment;
- Energy-efficient design and tracking of energy performance, as well as supporting renewable energy programs through the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates;
- Motion-sensitive lighting that automatically turn off lights when rooms are not in use, and which use efficient low-mercury light bulbs;
- Large windows in common areas and main floors to allow in as much natural light as possible;
- Use of pre-cycling, or avoiding materials that would otherwise end up in landfills, and recycling programs;
- Use of ‘green’ cleaning products that are eco-friendly and non-toxic.
In the facility’s design, Aviva also focused on providing a quality work environment for the 1,300 team members on site.
“In addition to being a campus based in environmental responsibility, we have created a great work space for our team,” Littlefield said. “Our new building provides our employees access to natural light and direct control over their work space – from motorized desks that move from a seated to standing position to the ability to adjust air flow through individual vents located in each cubicle or office. It’s designed to be a fun, technologically advanced place to work.”
Aviva had a broad, cross-functional group of employees involved in the move-in process, and received support from its construction, architectural and real estate partners including Weitz Company, HKS Inc., SVPA Architects Inc., Confluence Inc., and Jones Lang LaSalle.
“We are pleased to have successfully completed the move-in process,” said Littlefield. “The move was concluded with no disruption to our customers and distribution partners, and we stand ready to provide an even higher level of customer support as we now have the benefit of all employees working together under one roof. This new collaborative environment will make us more efficient and effective in meeting our customers’ needs. Moreover, we’re very pleased that our new headquarters facility was accomplished on time and on budget.”
About Aviva USA
Aviva USA is a sales leader of fixed indexed annuities and fixed indexed life insurance. Headquartered in West Des Moines, Iowa, Aviva USA also has offices in Topeka, Kansas, and Melville, New York. In the United States, Aviva has approximately one million customers and employs nearly 1,500 people across the country. Aviva USA is part of Aviva plc, and can trace its presence in the United States back to the late 1800s.
About Aviva plc and Aviva North America
Aviva plc serves 50 million customers across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific. Aviva’s main business activities are long-term savings, fund management and property and casualty insurance. Aviva is the largest insurance services provider in the UK and one of the leading providers of life and pension products in Europe. In North America, Aviva is the largest provider of indexed annuity and life insurance in the U.S., and the second largest property and casualty insurer in Canada.
Director of Public Relations
Office: 515-342-3822 / Cell: 515-782-3256
Source: Aviva USA