The Society for Annuity Facts & Education (SAFE), Inc. Launches Educational Initiative Focused on Annuity Awareness
June 13, 2012 by N/A
Milwaukee, WI (June 12, 2012) – The Society for Annuity Facts & Education (SAFE), Inc. officially filed for 501(c)3 status as it embarked on its mission to raise awareness and provide the public with reliable information about annuities.
“With retirement savings nearing all-time lows, people living longer than ever before, and planning for retirement becoming an after-thought for many, SAFE believes that providing accurate, easy-to-understand information about annuities and the role they play in insuring retirement savings and retirement income is essential,” explained Mark T. Stone, President of SAFE.
Organized as an educational association, SAFE’s primary focus is on providing factual information about the benefits and limitations of annuities to the general public. SAFE also:
- Provides consumers and the media with an accurate, comprehensive, and unbiased source of information, in order to help them make informed decisions;
- Limits the amount of misinformation the general public and media are exposed to;
- Communicates important facts about annuities;
- Provides a forum for the exchange of information;
- Provides opportunities for education through town hall meetings, website communications and content, social media, publications, as well as other programs and activities.
SAFE is a nonprofit, non-stock corporation incorporated in the State of Wisconsin. SAFE will be guided by an esteemed Board of Directors comprised of representatives from all facets of the annuity industry. Current Board members include:
- Lowell Aronoff, Chief Executive Officer, CANNEX Financial Exchanges Limited
- Pam Heinrich, Esq., Heinrich Law
- Rich Lane, National Director of Sales and Marketing, The Standard
- Rod Mims, Senior Vice President and National Sales Manager, Athene Annuity
- Gregory L. Mitchell, Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, The Lafayette Life Insurance Company
- Sheryl J. Moore, President and Chief Executive Officer, AnnuitySpecs.com and Moore Market Intelligence
- Joe Spillman, President, ECA Marketing
- Mark T. Stone, Principal & Marketing Strategist, Insurance Insight Group
- Eric J. Thomes, Senior Vice President of Sales, Allianz Life
SAFE’s officers include:
- President, Mark T. Stone
- Treasurer, Gregory L. Mitchell
- Secretary, Pam Heinrich
SAFE is currently seeking additional board members from the variable industry and consumer advocacy groups.
In its developmental stage, SAFE has been closely affiliated with NAFA, the National Association for Fixed Annuities, a 501(c)6 organization because it provided the initial resources and guidance in establishing SAFE. However, with the approval of SAFE as a 501(c)3 organization, it will operate independently. Founded in 1998, NAFA’s role is to provide education and promote the understanding and awareness of fixed annuities to the insurance industry; including; financial professionals, insurance companies, vendors, members of the media and consumers for the purpose of selling fixed annuities.