We would love to hear from you. Click on the ‚ÄėContact Us‚Äô link to the right and choose your favorite way to reach-out!

wscdsdc

media/speaking contact

Jamie Johnson

business contact

Victoria Peterson

Contact Us

855.ask.wink

Close [x]
pattern

Industry News

Categories

  • Industry Articles (14,193)
  • Industry Conferences (2)
  • Industry Job Openings (2)
  • Negative Media (128)
  • Positive Media (73)
  • Sheryl's Articles (538)
  • Sheryl's Blogs (152)
  • Wink's Articles (208)
  • Wink's Blogs (183)
  • Wink's Press Releases (83)
  • Blog Archives

  • January 2020
  • December 2019
  • November 2019
  • October 2019
  • September 2019
  • August 2019
  • July 2019
  • June 2019
  • May 2019
  • April 2019
  • March 2019
  • February 2019
  • January 2019
  • December 2018
  • November 2018
  • October 2018
  • September 2018
  • August 2018
  • July 2018
  • June 2018
  • May 2018
  • April 2018
  • March 2018
  • February 2018
  • January 2018
  • December 2017
  • November 2017
  • October 2017
  • September 2017
  • August 2017
  • July 2017
  • June 2017
  • May 2017
  • April 2017
  • March 2017
  • February 2017
  • January 2017
  • December 2016
  • November 2016
  • October 2016
  • September 2016
  • August 2016
  • July 2016
  • June 2016
  • May 2016
  • April 2016
  • March 2016
  • February 2016
  • January 2016
  • December 2015
  • November 2015
  • October 2015
  • September 2015
  • August 2015
  • July 2015
  • June 2015
  • May 2015
  • April 2015
  • March 2015
  • February 2015
  • January 2015
  • December 2014
  • November 2014
  • October 2014
  • September 2014
  • August 2014
  • July 2014
  • June 2014
  • May 2014
  • April 2014
  • March 2014
  • February 2014
  • January 2014
  • December 2013
  • November 2013
  • October 2013
  • September 2013
  • August 2013
  • July 2013
  • June 2013
  • May 2013
  • April 2013
  • March 2013
  • February 2013
  • January 2013
  • December 2012
  • November 2012
  • October 2012
  • September 2012
  • August 2012
  • July 2012
  • June 2012
  • May 2012
  • April 2012
  • March 2012
  • February 2012
  • January 2012
  • December 2011
  • November 2011
  • October 2011
  • September 2011
  • August 2011
  • July 2011
  • June 2011
  • May 2011
  • April 2011
  • March 2011
  • February 2011
  • January 2011
  • December 2010
  • November 2010
  • October 2010
  • September 2010
  • August 2010
  • July 2010
  • June 2010
  • May 2010
  • April 2010
  • March 2010
  • February 2010
  • January 2010
  • December 2009
  • November 2009
  • October 2009
  • August 2009
  • June 2009
  • May 2009
  • April 2009
  • March 2009
  • November 2008
  • May 2008
  • February 2008
  • U.S. Adults Prefer Playing It Safe Rather Than Taking Risks With Their Money, Careers and Social Lives

    December 18, 2019 by Northwestern Mutual

    MILWAUKEE,¬†Dec. 11, 2019¬†/PRNewswire/ —¬†Americans are far from daredevils when it comes to how they manage their finances, careers, social lives and more. In fact, the latest findings from Northwestern Mutual’s¬†2019 Planning & Progress Study¬†suggest that when U.S. adults face choices about how much risk to take on, most prefer to play things safe.

    For example, when asked about their likelihood to take calculated risks with their finances, nearly three quarters (72%) of U.S. adults 18+ report they are more comfortable reducing risk to ensure the safety and stability of their savings and investments, even if it means the potential for lower returns.

    Risky Business

    The study found that the average American “financial risk tolerance” ‚Äď defined as the comfort level with taking financial risks in order to seek financial returns ‚Äď is a 4.9 out of 10 (with 1 being ‘very conservative’ and 10 being ‘very aggressive’). Considerably more people fall on the risk-averse end of the scale, with 30% in the 1-3 low-tolerance range vs 14% between 8-10.

    Digging deeper into the tolerance numbers shows that individuals most comfortable with risk are those who self-identify as disciplined planners and those working with advisors:

    • Americans who consider themselves ‘highly-disciplined planners’ ‚Äď defined as people who know their exact goals, have developed specific plans to meet them, and rarely deviate from those plans ‚Äď report a risk tolerance of 5.3. Comparatively, those who identify as ‘informal planners’ ‚Äď defined as people with a general sense of their goals and how to meet them, but do not have a formal plan in place ‚Äď report a risk tolerance of 4.5.
    • U.S. adults who work with an advisor report a risk tolerance of 5.2, and those without advisors have a risk tolerance of 4.6.

    “The instinct to preserve and protect is evident in these numbers, and while that’s a positive and healthy tendency, it’s also possible to be overly cautious due to uncertainty,” says¬†Emily Holbrook, senior director of planning at Northwestern Mutual. “It’s interesting that comfort with risk goes up when people seek help from an advisor and stick to a plan. The takeaway here is that getting the right financial guidance can give you clarity to take calculated risks.”

    Attitudes Towards Risk in Everyday Life

    The tendency toward risk-aversion isn’t limited to finances. The study also found that Americans are more inclined to play it safe across many areas of their lives, including:

    • Their careers:¬†65% prefer the consistency and stability of staying with one employer rather than taking the risk of moving around; 35% prefer to take the risk of making changes (e.g., employer, field, starting a business, etc.) because they believe it has a higher potential for success/happiness than inaction.
    • Where they choose to live:¬†76% prefer the stability and consistency of living in one place long-term, even if an opportunity to move could potentially result in career growth, improved finances, etc.; 24% report they prefer the adventure of starting over and experiencing new cities, neighborhoods and people.
    • The activities they enjoy:¬†72% say their personal interests tend toward activities that don’t involve an element of risk; 28% are thrill-seekers who like folding in an element of risk as a way of having fun ‚Äď things like skydiving, swimming with sharks, climbing mountains, and bungee jumping.
    • Their social lives:¬†66% stick close to the friends they already have, not necessarily because they’re uninterested in forming new relationships, but rather because they tend to avoid taking chances socially; 34% put themselves out there and take chances socially because they love the prospect of forming new friendships/relationships.

    “The work that our advisors do with their clients often goes well beyond managing financial plans and connects to the choices people are making across other parts of their lives,” says Holbrook. “It’s human impulse to play it safe, and there’s a lot to be said for that. At the same time, uncertainty can hold people back from new opportunities. Our job is to empower people to make those difficult decisions and guide them along the path toward living for today.”

    These are the latest findings of the 2019¬†Planning & Progress Study, an annual research project commissioned by Northwestern Mutual that explores Americans’ attitudes and behaviors towards money, financial decision-making, and factors impacting long-term financial security. This year marks the 10-year anniversary of the study.

    About The 2019 Northwestern Mutual Planning & Progress Study
    The 2019 Planning & Progress Study was conducted by¬†The Harris Poll¬†on behalf of Northwestern Mutual and included 2,003 American adults aged 18 or older in the general population. Results were weighted to Census targets for education, age/gender, race/ethnicity, region and household income. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online. No estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated; a full methodology is available.

    About Northwestern Mutual
    Northwestern Mutual¬†has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for more than 160 years. Through a distinctive, personalized planning approach, Northwestern Mutual combines the expertise of its financial advisors with a digital experience to help its clients navigate their financial lives every day. With¬†$272.2 billion¬†in assets,¬†$28.5 billion¬†in revenues, and¬†$1.8 trillion¬†worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 4.5 million people with life, disability income and long-term care insurance, annuities, and brokerage and advisory services. The company manages nearly¬†$150 billion¬†of investments owned by its clients and held or managed through its wealth management and investment services businesses. Northwestern Mutual ranks 111 on the 2019 FORTUNE 500 and is recognized by FORTUNE¬ģ as one of the “World’s Most Admired” life insurance companies in 2019.

    Northwestern Mutual is the marketing name for The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company (NM),¬†Milwaukee, WI¬†(life and disability insurance, annuities, and life insurance with long-term care benefits) and its subsidiaries. Subsidiaries include¬†Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC¬†(NMIS) (securities), broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC; the Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company¬ģ (NMWMC) (fiduciary and fee-based financial planning services), federal savings bank; and Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company (NLTC) (long-term care insurance).

     

    SOURCE Northwestern Mutual

    For further information: JEAN TOWELL, 1-800-323-7033, mediarelations@northwesternmutual.com

    Originally Posted at Northwestern Mutual on December 11, 2019 by Northwestern Mutual.

    Categories: Industry Articles
    currency