VP, Chief Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Officer
February 23, 2021 by N/A
About the job
Symetra has an exciting opportunity join us as our new VP and Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer!
As our Chief DE&I Officer you’ll help us achieve our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) vision to become the most inclusive insurance carrier in the country. We’ve started the journey, and we have much to do. We invite you to join us in this critical and important work.
About The Role
In this role, you’ll be responsible for driving the enterprise DE&I strategy, serving as organizational change agent to actively partner with senior leadership embedding DE&I goals as a key driver of sustained business results.
Our dedicated employees and leaders have achieved outstanding results through our Employee Resource Groups and our Inclusive Diversity Council. There are DE&I action plans in place for every senior leader’s department.
What You Will Do
- Own and build upon our current DE&I work, crafting a longer-term mission and formal framework from which to advance DE&I, including strategic plan, goals, policies, and budget.
- Serve as Symetra’s specialist in DE&I trends, strategies, measurements and issues.
- Lead and develop a team of DE&I professionals to craft, implement and measure the success of DE&I at Symetra.
- Evaluate DE&I efforts by identifying areas for improvement, directing future programs and assessing the achievement of annual plan goals.
- Collaborate on programs and initiatives to improve recruitment, development and retention of a high-performing diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Recommend and advocate for policies, management, and decision making to reflect inclusive leadership. Education is a key part of this role.
- Assess the impact of our people practices on DE&I and work with other areas of Human Resources to evolve practices and metrics in recruitment, talent management, total rewards, and employee engagement.
- Collaborate on customer research programs and initiatives in support developing new products, services and experiences, so we can reach new customer segments.
- Develop and collaborate with other areas of Human Resources on processes and systems to hold leaders accountable for their support, implementation and ownership of DE&I in their departments.
- Collaborate with key executives to assist in shaping their roles as champions and advocates for DE&I both internally and externally.
- Join in with business leaders to build an inclusive brand and culture that attracts underrepresented markets.
- Measure and communicate results against committed DE&I actions ensuring meaningful progress towards DE&I and business goals.
To learn more about our ERG’s click here.
To learn more about our DE&I click here.
Who You Are
- Minimum of 10-15 years dynamic professional experience with 7+ years of proven success in building and leading DE&I work.
- Confirmed experience articulating a DE&I vision, translating it into an executable strategy and driving cross-functional teams to deliver against the plan.
- Deep knowledge of standard methodologies in DE&I including expertise and comfort in facilitating meaningful and difficult conversations with a wide range of partners.
- Experience in developing, implementing and assessing equity and inclusion strategies, initiatives and programs.
- Committed to increasing equity and justice as well as furthering and improving the lived experiences of our employees related to equity and justice
- Experience working with multiple partners to develop multi-year strategy plans, identify appropriate resources and partnerships needed, and develop breakthroughs to ensure continued growth and delivery of desired outcomes.
- Skilled in translating external and internal trends into innovative and creative practices.
- Sophisticated experience with project management, strategic operations, strategy consulting, and designing data-driven diversity program strategies.
- Ability to influence a broad group of partners, and senior leaders without direct authority – a team-oriented consensus builder who understands how to achieve buy-in from different leaders, builds bridges, and designs “win-win” solutions across a large, matrixed organization.
- Comfort and experience galvanizing others into action.
- 10% travel possibly required in the future
What We Offer
- Flexible work and telecommute arrangements
- Wellness program offering employees a variety of resources designed to assist you in reaching and maintaining your optimum health
- Health and welfare benefits designed to make your life better—both at work and at home including medical, dental, vision, health savings account and flexible spending accounts
- Ongoing learning and skills development through our college tuition assistance, professional education certification programs and more
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching and/or participate in our company-wide week of service each June
- Want more details? Check out our Symetra Benefits Overview
We empower inclusion
At Symetra, we’re building a place where every employee feels valued, respected, and has opportunities to contribute. Inclusion is about recognizing our assumptions, considering multiple perspectives and removing barriers.
We embrace and celebrate diverse experiences, identities and perspectives, because lifting each other up fuels thought and creates a stronger, more innovative company. We invite you to learn more about our efforts here.
In a complex industry, we strive for clarity.
Symetra is a dynamic and growing financial services company with 60 years of experience and customers nationwide. In our daily work delivering retirement, employee benefits, and life insurance products, we’re guided by the principles of VALUE, TRANSPARENCY AND SUSTAINABILITY. That means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and honestly so people understand what they’re getting, and we build products that stand the test of time. We work hard and do what’s right for our customers, communities and employees. Join our team and share in our success as we work toward becoming the next national player in our industry.
For more information about our careers visit www.symetra.com/careers.