NAILBA’s transformation will be on display in Orlando Oct. 31-Nov. 2
October 18, 2018 by Brian Anderson
The largest gathering of independent brokerage agencies in the U.S. kicks off on Oct. 31, when NAILBA 37 takes over the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center in Orlando for a three-day run.
Much like the organization itself, the annual meeting for the National Association of Independent Life Brokerage Agencies (NAILBA) has been significantly revamped for 2018, with a new exhibit hall experience, 20 new workshops, improved networking opportunities, and a star-studded lineup of keynote speakers and entertainment, and the return of a golf tournament, to be held at Disney’s Magnolia Golf Course.
This will be the second annual meeting for NAILBA CEO Dan LaBert, who officially succeeded Jack Chiasson on Nov. 1, 2017, and has been busy in his first year introducing a variety of new initiatives, programs and modifications to the annual meeting, all designed to reinvigorate the organization and allow it to grow with members as the voice of independent life insurance distribution.
Earlier this year, NAILBA entered the podcast world. The “Brokerage in Motion” podcast features carrier interviews on products, services, future development, community efforts, and more. Other podcasts will include interviews with members and industry experts. NAILBA podcasts are available as a member benefit to all members. Through these podcasts, LaBert says NAILBA is addressing industry questions such as commission accounting, unilateral contract changes, big data, accelerated underwriting, spread commission model and various other industry shifts.New NAILBA initiatives
- A white paper project that will highlight efforts on diversity and inclusion within the life insurance industry, speaking to the business case and providing a toolkit for diversity in life insurance. It is intended to help members find more clients, more talent, more revenue and most importantly, reach currently underserved areas to help secure the financial futures of consumers.
- A significant revamp of the organization’s website. NAILBA.org is undergoing a complete redesign this fall. The new NAILBA.org (expected to launch December 2018) will offer more opportunity to position members as strategic partners of the only national association dedicated to independent brokerage distribution. In addition to exclusive content news and industry updates exclusive for brokerage, the new site will feature a “carrier corner” for new products, services and personnel, an employment board, advocacy updates and action center, updated resources, (attending physician study, field underwriting guide, contracts manual), additional video, etc.
- New partnerships. In 2018, NAILBA has formed partnerships with:
- The American College of Financial Services, where NAILBA members receive a 10% discount for all educational programs.
- Ruby Receptionist: Ruby’s one-of-a-kind technology coupled with its professional and friendly receptionists offers prompt, personalized service with every call answered live. NAILBA members receive 5% off a monthly plan.
- InsMark: The InsMark Illustration System and InsMark Wealthy and Wise System are being offered to NAILBA member agencies at a significant discount. InsMark generates easy-to-understand solutions to complex financial issues covering myriad of advanced sales areas from comparisons between cash value life insurance and other financial products to comprehensive retirement, estate and charitable planning.
- National Purchasing Partners: Members of NAILBA can access exclusive discounts through National Purchasing Partners (NPP). Select offers can also be shared with employees.
- Legal Webinars: Each quarter, NAILBA will host a free member webinar with an attorney from its partner, Norris McLaughlin & Marcus. These webinars will include 30-minute presentations followed by a Q&A with an attorney who specializes in that practice area. There is no cost to participate in these webinars and they are open to all staff of NAILBA member agencies. Each webinar will be recorded and available on demand.
What’s new for NAILBA 37
- In order to increase foot traffic in the Exhibit Hall, NAILBA is relocating the Opening Reception. The Exhibit Hall will open with a ribbon cutting, libations toast and two hours of attendee excitement with entertainment, open bar and a reimagined food offering. More than 400 are expected to attend.
- Increased opportunities for exhibitors and sponsors to showcase their products via the NAILBA Product Training University to both current customers and potential clients without setting up advance meetings.
- NAILBA has invested approximately $10,000 in attendee prizes and exhibit hall experiences as part of the Exhibitor Passport Program. From Apple Watches, laptops, iRoombas, and Bose Noise Canceling Headphones to gift cards, attendees will be encouraged to visit participating exhibitors for a passport stamp. Completed passports will be entered in the prize raffle.
- NAILBA will introduce a new digital platform to easily facilitate individual 1-on-1 appointments at the Annual Meeting. “NAILBA is focused on creating new business development opportunities for our agencies, carriers, and vendors,” LaBert says. “To facilitate these opportunities and make the most of your time, we intend to utilize networking software that eliminates the ‘hunt’ for a person you wish to speak with and instead, provides an electronic link to set a 15-minute appointment.”
- The return of golf to the NAILBA Annual Meeting means attendees can spend the final afternoon of the event enjoying a round of golf on PGA Tour course, while building relationships with fellow NAILBA members in a social setting.
- A Military Appreciation closing luncheon. Given the date proximity of the annual meeting to Veterans Day (Nov. 11), NAILBA will salute all members who have served in the military topped off with a retired flag officer (4-Star General James T. Conway) offer the closing keynote speech. All attendees are encouraged to attend.
In addition to Conway, comedian Louie Anderson, legendary college football coach and broadcaster Lou Holtz, and world-renowned musician Mark Schulman (Beyoncé, Foreigner, Cher, Billy Idol, Stevie Nicks, Tina Turner, and currently touring with PINK) and singer Janine Strange are scheduled to perform or speak during the conference.
“NAILBA 37 attendees will be treated to an all-star lineup of distinguished speakers,” LaBert says. “From the battlefields, to concert halls, arenas, the gridiron, and the broadcast booth, this year’s roster of speakers will share their first-hand experiences on topics such as leadership strategies, challenges, team-building and more. NAILBA members will be energized and motivated to take their business, and our life insurance brokerage industry, to the next level.”
For more information about NAILBA’s Annual Meeting please visit www.nailba.org/nailba37.
About NAILBA: The National Association for Independent Life Brokerage Agencies (NAILBA) is the premier industry association representing America’s independent insurance brokers and Brokerage General Agencies (BGAs). Comprised of nearly 300 independent brokers and member agencies writing over $20 billion in annualized premiums, NAILBA members support consumer independence in strengthen their financial portfolio through increased access and choice in the life, health and annuity insurance marketplace. For more information, please visit www.NAILBA.org.